St. Anthony of Padua
ARTICLE 1: TITLE
The name of this organization shall be "The Pastoral Council of St Anthony of Padua Catholic Church."
ARTICLE 2: PURPOSE
The Purpose of the Pastoral Council shall be to draw as many parishioners as possible into the sphere of active interest in the Parish and to have them assume personal responsibility for the spiritual and temporal welfare of the community. It shall offer a forum to anyone who wishes to contribute ideas and suggestions. It shall also be the official center of communication on all things pertaining to the Parish. The Pastoral Council should encourage the fullest possible collaboration of clergy and laity in their common mission.
ARTICLE 3: MEMBERSHIP
1. All parishioners, eighteen (18) years and older or who have been confirmed, are entitled to serve on the Pastoral Council. Membership on the Pastoral Council shall be limited to one person per household per term.
2. Membership on the Pastoral Council shall be limited to nine (9) active practicing members and one (1) member appointed by the Pastor. All members must be parishioners of St Anthony of Padua Parish either by boundaries or by registration in the Parish.
3. The nine (9) elected members of the Pastoral Council will be elected at large by the parishioners of St. Anthony of Padua Parish.
4. Ex-Officio Members are to be:
a. The Pastor
ARTICLE 4: ELECTION AND TERMS OF MEMBERSHIP
1. All parishioners eighteen (18) of age and older are eligible to vote in the General Election.
2. The nine (9) elected members of the pastoral Council shall serve one three-year term each with the possibility of being re-elected to another three-year term. Membership will be on a staggered basis with the election of three (3) members annually. The appointed member shall serve a one (1) year term, renewable for up to six years in one year increments.
3. Elected members shall serve one (1) full term and may be elected to a second full three-year term. No elected member shall serve more than two (2) consecutive full terms or more than six (6) consecutive years.
4. Candidates shall be selected through open nominations by the parishioners of St. Anthony subject to acceptance by nominees.
5. In case of vacancies, resignations, or terminations, the Pastoral Council and/or the Pastor shall appoint a member of the Parish to fill the open position for the duration of the term.
6. The Chairperson of each Standing Committee shall be a member of the Pastoral Council.
7. Candidates for the Pastoral Council may not participate in the mechanics of the election.
ARTICLE 5: OFFICERS
1. The Pastoral Council, at its first meeting after the annual general election of the members, shall elect officers.
2. Offices shall be that of President, Vice-President, and Secretary and will be held for a period of one (1) year.
3. The President shall preside over all meetings.
4. The Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President in his/her absence. The Vice-President shall also act as parliamentarian.
5. The Secretary shall keep the minutes of the meeting and be responsible for all publicity and correspondence.
6. The officers may be re-elected for more than one term.
ARTICLE 6: MEETINGS
1. The Pastoral Council shall meet at least once a month. Special meetings may be called by the Pastor or the President.
2. The committees shall meet at least twice a year, or more often at the discretion of the chairperson of each committee, according to the needs and issues that are pending before the committees.
3. The general parish is invited to attend all meetings of the Pastoral Council or committees, but may participate only when recognized by the President.
4. All items to be placed on the agenda must have the approval of the Pastor or President one week prior to the meeting.
5. The parish bulletin shall be the official instrument for calling meetings and for announcing policy and decisions of the Pastoral Council.
6. A quorum of the Pastoral Council shall consist of one-half of active membership plus one.
7. The Pastoral Council meetings shall be governed by Robert's Rules of Order.
ARTICLE 7: COMMITTEES
1. The following Standing Committees are hereby established: Liturgy, Community Projects, Family Life, Religious Education, and Maintenance.
2. Every member of the Pastoral Council must be engaged in the work of at least one committee.
3. Any member of the parish may be asked to serve on the above committees.
4. Every committee shall record its actions and report to the Pastoral Council. If finances are involved, a financial report must be included.
5. Special committees shall be appointed as needed.
ARTICLE 8: AMENDMENTS
1. Amendments to the Constitution or By-Laws must be made by a 2/3 vote of the Pastoral Council members present at any regular meeting provided that a written notification of the proposed amendment be given at least (10) days prior to the meeting to the Pastor or the President.
ARTICLE 9: RATIFICATION AND IMPLEMENTATION
1. This Constitution shall be presented to the existing Pastoral Council for ratification. A simple majority of the existing Pastoral council voting shall suffice to ratify.
2. Upon ratification of the Constitution, the present Pastoral Council will proceed with its implementation as provided herein.
3. All members of the Pastoral Council shall be provided with a copy of the Constitution and By-Laws as amended within a week after being elected or appointed.